Wednesday, October 29, 2008

We are in Guangzhou!

Yesterday was a travel day. We left our wonderful hotel in Shenyang and flew to Beijing for one night. The hotel there wasn't great at all - pretty yucky - and they didn't have internet. Jerry didn't do well on the flight from Shenyang to Beijing. His cold affected his ears and he was in pain. Luckily the flight attendants noticed and really helped him. She told him to sneeze and then brought him kleenexes and told him to blow. Finally his ears popped and he got some relief. We flew again today from Beijing to Guangzhou. He took medicine and his ears didn't bother him near as much. They still popped, but that is to be expected.
Hanna did well on the flights. Yesterday she just played with playdough or colored. She barely noticed we were in the air. Today she got a little mad that they made her sit in a seatbelt (just wait until we try to put her in a carseat!), but after a few minutes if even that long, she was fine. She played and then took a nap. We were glad for her to take a nap. We had to get up this morning at 5:30 to make breakfast and our flight.
Guangzhou is wonderful. Finally we have shorts weather. Sorry about all of you freezing in Indiana, but it was 85 here today and very humid. You sweat just walking outside! We are loving it. When we arrived in the hotel, we immediately went to see the family waterfall and fish pond on the inside! Pictures won't do it justice. It is awesome. My dad would have loved seeing it! The fish are just like the big one we had in our pond so many years ago, but there are probably 20 or 30 that size! I've got to figure out if and what we can feed them. We had Hanna's visa picture taken today - of course it was cute and went to her medical exam. Everything was fine. She was 14.5 something metric and I forget how tall. It is written down somewhere. I weighed her on our scales in the room and I believe she was right at 32 pounds like they told us. The people are amazed at how tall she is and the local stores don't carry shoes big enough for her! We are having to go to a department store tomorrow to buy her some shoes. She is going to wear a dress to the consoluate (which may get to be tomorrow) and she just can't wear tennis shoes! We went out to dinner tonight with our entire group. We've all met back up now. It is so wonderful seeing everyone again and now with their children. They are all wonderful. We went to Lucy's (a place where you can get American food). Jerry had sweet and sour pork and I had a chicken sandwich. Hanna had chicken congee. She loves that stuff. I've got to research on the internet how to make it at home! Sorry boys, but you're going to have to try something new for your sister! Then we went shopping. We got something for Reese and things for Hanna. We got her traditional outfit and another outfit to wear to Southmont basketball games! I can't wait to show that one off! It would also work for Wabash, but not football (not warm enough).
Thank you Miss Mingus and Mrs. Hoard for allowing the boys to talk with us after class. We've really missed talking with them the last couple of mornings. We should be fine for tomorrow - I'll email if our dinner plans are for too late though.
We are in the home stretch. Tomorrow is probably our consulate appointment, Friday will then be a free day, and Saturday we fly home! Ready or not, we're coming home!
Boys, we love you more than your sister loves congee! Have fun trick or treating. Don't forget to have someone take pictures of you in your outfits!
Mrs. Long's first grade and the rest of Ladoga - have a great time on grandparents day. Don't scare them too much - they're old! I'll see you when I get back. Hanna and I will come to visit.
I hear we have something new in our classroom! I can't wait to play with it!
A note for Mr. Irwin - Our Mountie Powercard didn't work at Pizza Hut or McDonalds!

12 comments:

The Saunders Family said...

She is absolutely beautiful and to see Jerry look at her is seeing true love. A father loves his children, but there is something special about a father-daughter love. Hope you are feeling better and we hope you have a safe trip back. And by the way, I bet the outfit will work for IU too:)LOL

Aunt Vick said...

WHAT AWESOME PICTURES!!!!!!!!!!! YOU AND JERRY ARE THE PERFECT PARENTS FOR HANNA-LOVE TO ALL OF YOU

Anonymous said...

I am just wondering if you are going to keep the blog up when you get home. I am growing addicted to it!!! Glad things are going well!!

Anonymous said...

Hello Jerry, Jennifer & Hanna
Jennifer dont worry about cooking the congee its so easy to make, no need to search in the net i can teach you how to make it hahaha, anyway, she is so lovely, can't wait to see her, Have a safe trip back home, I told Jacklyn about Hanna, I told her that she had a new friend coming in the sunday school.
Gina

Kathryn said...

She is beautiful. I am addicted to the blog, too. Whatever will I do? I would like to hear if the boys will eat congee. lol

We are so happy for you. What a doll.

Kathy and family

Anonymous said...

Hi! I am so glad to finally hear from you all, I was "kinda" worried about you. I am looking forward to your home-coming. I am glad that everything is going smoothly for you. Hanna looks so cute playing and laughing with you and Jerry. I know that the boys will just love her too. See you soon. Love, Mom

Anonymous said...

Hello Family,
We are all counting the days until your return. Jerry you are going to get an ear full from Kaylie, she is not very happy!! Just thought I should warn you. I'm sure when she gets to see Hanna she will forget all about school.
Love you guys. Have fun and be safe. Hi Hanna!!!
Aunt Nicole

Anonymous said...

What a blessing, you will be in our prayers as you prepare to return home. Hope you will all be feeling better. Thanks for sharing your photos and adventures. I it pure joy to see the sparkle in your eyes (all three of you!)
-Barb

Anonymous said...

I love the last picture of Jerry and Hanna. He needs to put that one on his desk at school. She is so beautiful but she does have some mischief in those eyes. The boys are going to have so much fun with their little sister.

I can't wait to meet her. We will have to get Maggie and Hanna together to play. Maggie loves to have playdates.

Only two more days and you will be home!!!!

Tonya

Aunt Vick said...

WHY ARE YOU CARRING HANNA AND NOT PUSHING HER IN A STROLLER? I BET SHE WON'T LET YOU PUSH HER WILL SHE. SHE WANTS MA MA TO CARRY HER!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Jennifer,

I finally got to log on and read all of your entries. What a journey!! I am so glad that Hanna seems to be bonding with you so well!! I have to tell ya- Jessie prayed for her new friend Hanna the other night during her bedtime prayers. Also, corn is Jessie's favorite vegetable. Can't wait for them to meet in person. Have a safe trip home and let us know when it is ok for visitors. Your family is so blessed by one another! God is so good!!!

Anonymous said...

J&J...sounds like you are having quite an adventure. You have a beautiful little girl. Jill and I have enjoyed sharing in your experience. The boys will have big fun with their new little sister. Leo and Henry wish you well. Love Greg & Jill