Monday, October 27, 2008

Sorry about Sunday!

Sorry we didn't post on Sunday! We went to bed early due to our colds and I didn't think about it. Sorry. I'll try to get you all caught up today.
Yesterday, we went to Shenyang Palace. It is the forbidden city of Shenyang. It was used when the Manchu people took over the dynasty and moved the capital of China here. I don't mean to be disrespectful, but all of the ancient buildings look the same now. Shiyan told us that the Manchu went to the forbiddent city in Beijing and copied it for their palace here in Shenyang. Hanna had a 2 year old temper tantrum at the palace yesterday as we were beginning to leave. I think she must have seen something, but then she didn't get her way. Boy was she mad. Then to make matters worse it was nap time and she was hungry. She does have a temper and she wasn't afraid to show it! Luckily she calmed down on the bus ride back to the hotel. Jerry left to go to a museum with the rest of the group while she and I had a snack lunch and then a nap. We both needed it after our morning!
When we got up, we needed to go shopping to finish the gifts for the sponsor family. It is the Chinese way to give gifts when you meet people. Shiyan told us that they would probably have more gifts when we meet them at the orphanage (she was right!). We shopped until dark and because we didn't have a planned group meal, we just ate at McDonald's. We learned that Hanna loves corn. They offer that as a side instead of apples. She ended up eating all of her nuggets and her corn - plus most of my fries!
Now for today...I didn't sleep well last night. My cold has really gotten me down, but more it was because of going to the orphanage and meeting the sponsor family. After that meltdown at the palace, I didn't want a repeat there. We got to see the boys before we left...thanks Paul and Stacey. It was nice getting to see them with my mom, Jerry's parents, and mamaw Beeson. It was good hearing about their weekend.
We had to drive out in the country a little to get to the orphanage. I recoginized it immediately when I saw the roof. It is the nicest building out there by far. We saw people out in the fields gathering straw (I guess) by hand. They were raking it into piles and binding them together. Talk about back breaking. As soon as we pulled into the parking lot, I saw the family and immediately starting crying (them too). Hanna was so excited to see them and leapt from my arms. She hugged and kissed them. They were so kind and loving with her. They seemed very similar to Jerry and me. They liked playing with her and making all over her. They were very happy to see her again and only asked that they get to watch her grow. We exchanged contact information and hope to keep in contact. It is clear they loved her. Hanna didn't like going into the orphanage. She was afraid she was being left. She didn't want anything to do with Jerry and me for quite awhile. Then her sponsor parents handed her to us and went into a room with other children. They watched us play with her from a window. During our play in the hallway, we got our Hanna back. She smiled and laughed and seemed like the same little girl we've had for the last week. Shiyan told them that we were going to leave and they said they didn't want to upset her again and didn't want her to see them. That really meant alot to us. They are so kind and only want what is best for her.
She was alittle quiet and independent on the bus ride home, but has been our little Hanna ever since. We are so thankful to them for all they've done. God has been watching over our little girl and making her life very blessed. After meeting them, we feel as though she is now our daughter. We feel like they've given us their blessing and we were waiting for that. We felt such relief and our stresses just melted. God is truly wonderful for all He does. It is amazing watching her play and giggle.
We've been trying to pack as this is our last night in Shenyang, but Hanna doesn't like it. She keeps pulling stuff out as I pack it away! I guess I'm going to have to wait until she is asleep! I will post some pictures in a little while (after bed for Hanna and packing!). Thank you everyone for all you've done to make this miracle happen. We appreciate everyone's prayers. We are getting so close to being home!

A note for first hour: Do Your Homework!

Boys...we love you more than the dumplings we enjoyed again at dinner! Just wait until you get to taste them. They are delicious!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jennifer,

It sounds like you are a little down? Keep your head up! You are going to have a few hard days! SHe is so worth all the hard moments though. She will adjust Jennifer. We all love you and are praying for you health too. We are also praying that God gives you patience on you long journey home. I know you wish that you were back.

Amanda

Kathryn said...

Seeing Baba dance with Hanna is so sweet! It can be a long, hard trip. Once you get to Guangzhou (sp?) it will be warmer and more fun. Lots of prayers still going up for you. What an experience.

much love
Kathy and family

Aunt Vick said...

SIS--YOU AND JERRY ARE DEFINATELY THE PERFECT PARENTS FOR HANNA. SHE LOVES YOU BOTH VERY MUCH AND SHE CAN SEE AND FEEL HOW MUCH YOU TWO LOVE HER. TO ME THAT IS VERY OBVIOUS WHEN I SEE THE VIDEOS. I LOVE ALL OF YOU AND AM READY FOR YOU TO GET HOME!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Jennifer, Jerry, & Hanna,
I am so relieved that your time at the orphanage is behind all of you. I had mixed feeling about you all going, not knowing how Hanna would react to visiting again. Did she enjoy seeing her friends as well as she did her sponser parents? I am sure that you will sleep well tonight as you have found the peace that was needed from the sponcer parents. I know that you and Jerry are excatly where that you are meant to be with Hanna and with all the gifts that the sponser parents have given to Hanna through-out the transistion, she will adjust to the family just great. I am so excited to be able to meet my grand-daughter on Saturday, it's hard to do anything. I will see you soon. Love...........

Anonymous said...

Mr.Longs first hour class says hi, and we miss you.

Anonymous said...

We've enjoyed reading your blog during your pick-up trip. It definitely brings back memories of ours, although yours is much longer! We were in and out so fast--which was a good thing--but you are fortunate to have traveled so much within Hanna's homeland. Those will be cherished memories that you'll be able to share with her in years to come. Take care of those colds and get plenty of rest--you'll need your strength to withstand the rush of the first days at home. Everyone will want a piece of your time, but don't be afraid to lock the door and let Hanna get to know her family first. It will make her transition so much easier.

When you are ready to get out with her, we'll be looking forward to getting the girls together for a play date! I bet they'll have a blast.

God bless you all!

Anonymous said...

I just finally got on your blog site today!! I am so happy for you all. Man, she is a cutie!! As soon as I saw pictures, I just started to tear up, as I can only imagine how happy your entire family is and will be to meet her. Congratulations!!!

Nicole Thompson

Anonymous said...

Jennifer & Jerry:

I am just reading your blog for the first time. What an amazing journey. I am so happy for all of you! Taylor has asked me several times since you left if I have checked the blog, I'll be sure to tell her all about it. I hope you have a safe trip home and I can't wait to meet Hanna.

Mamie Cable

Anonymous said...

Wow! You guys must be having a lot of fun. I'm glad to hear Hanna's foster parents had a great time with her.It must have been real nice to meet them. It's smart of you to put hanna to bed before you started packing, otherwise you might have never left. I can't wait until you guys get back. I miss/love you!
-Martina-