Saturday, October 25, 2008

Saturday

Today thankfully was a free day. We all have colds - luckily Hanna's isn't too bad. She just coughs a little. Jerry and I have it in our heads. It is yucky to be sick here. Luckily we do have some medicine. Hopefully it will start working soon. OK - on today. We went shopping again after breakfast. We started out for Walmart to get some pictures made, but evidently their equipment doesn't work. They told us that the other day, but we figured they didn't understand what we were asking. figured wrong. Then we went to a department store looking for something nice for the sponsor mom. We settled on a nice scarf. Then we got some hand lotions for extra things for the orphanage workers - we had been feeling a little cheap! We were excited to be making progress with the sponsor family gifts. Then we had snacks for lunch and nap. Hanna woke before Jerry and I were ready to get up! Our colds make us drowsy! Then we were off shopping again. This time we were looking for a place to make pictures. We asked at the hotel for a place and they wrote the address on a card for a taxi. The first 2 taxis didn't want to take us - wouldn't make much money because it wasn't far - and finally a very nice taxi with leather seats and a tv took us! We got our 3 pictures printed for part of the sponsor family's gift and decided to walk back to the hotel. That's when we went to the Mao statue. It is very near our hotel. We all went to dinner together again tonight. Shiyan is very kind to order for us and get things she knows we'll like! Paul - you'll like this one. My first bite looked like a pepper, but no one said anything, so I popped it in my mouth. We'll it was definitely a pepper and very hot! It cleaned out my sinuses! Sprite and Jasmine tea helped cool my mouth. The peppers were with some chicken. The chicken was good, but wow! I've included pictures of some of my favorite dishes. I absolutely love the Chinese celery. Hanna loves the dumplings (they are very yummy), and Jerry loves just about everything! He commented again tonight that he ate too much! The dishes are all served family style on a lazy susan. It is fun spinning it around until you get what you want. We try everything and enjoy it all. Brooks and Reese - don't worry. We haven't had anything that looks like bugs, has eyes, or is still alive! I think even you too would have enjoyed the dinner! Watermelon is always dessert!
We've enjoyed getting to know our daughter. She is learning more English each day. Potty, come here, water, where's your mama or baba, bye bye...just to name a few. She is so fun and has the sweetest laugh. We played out in the hallway tonight and Shiyan came out because she heard her. She explained to us what she was saying in Chinese. She plays with her stacking cups and pretends they are cakes! Mamaw Long, she likes making cakes! She also enjoys playing hide and seek! She gets tickled though and doesn't wait quietly for you to find her! She always jumps out laughing. BaBa taught her to monkey crawl tonight. I forgot, now she knows monkey (just not the animal!) Shiyan thinks that everyone will love her when she gets home. We told her yes they will!
Tomorrow we are visiting Shenyang Palace and then more shopping in the afternoon. Monday we visit the orphanage and get to meet the sponsor mom. We don't think the sponsor dad will be able to make it. Evidently they are both managers for Oreo!
The count down is on! We'll be home in less than a week! I'm really enjoying being in Hanna's country, but I'm really missing home. I can't wait to hug my boys! and see everyone else! Sorry I don't have many pictures today. More tomorrow. goodnight from Shenyang!

Boys...we love you more than SKYPE - and you know how much I love my computer and talking with you each day! Paul and Stacey said that we can use their computer again on Sunday, so we'll see you then. I'm guessing at 8pm just like last time. Have someone email me if that isn't right! I can't wait!

3 comments:

The Saunders Family said...

I look forward to reading this everyday; as if I'm stalking you:) Hope you feel better soon. Tell Jerry we are headed to the Wabash game. We'll cheer them on for him:)

Aunt Vick said...

I LOVE YOUR BLOG AND ALL THE PICTURES. PLEASE KEEP SENDING US PICTURES. I LOVE ALL OF YOU. AUNT VICK

LeAnn Hauck said...

I have enjoyed watching your journey! Hanna is absolutely beautiful and I am so happy to see her smiling!

Love,
LeAnn (Addie's mom)